Saturday, June 12, 2010

Bird Houses -- Monterey California


I stayed at a bed and breakfast while traveling for work in Monterey, California. Neat place. Right outside the door to my room were these colorful birdhouses. Took what I call a "throw-away" shot and I liked it so much that I used it in my photo show. A "throw-away" shot is a shot that you really don't know why you are taking it, but since it is digital, you shrug your shoulders and take the picture anyway. This shot worked great in a group of shots that all had strong red and blue elements to them. So, while as a stand alone picture it is ok, in a group of other shots that were dominated with the same colors, it made a strong impression. Now, I take a lot more "throw-away" shots. You never know when that shot becomes part of a theme.