Monday, January 16, 2012

2011 Shot of the Year



I thought that this was my shot of the year. This is the same picture with two different crops. I posted the wider shot previously on Facebook and it got published in the Daily Herald but I wanted to post it here as well. As noted in yesterday's blog, these are Sandhill Cranes that I took at Jasper-Pulaski State Park in Indiana. I rented a 600mm lens for the weekend which takes tack-sharp shots at a distance. Amazing lens that sells for over $10,000 but is an excellent rental from Calumet Photo.
I like the wider shot with the deer faintly in the background with the green grass and dark trees but the tigher shot of the 5 lead birds is also a nice composition. I am not sure which composition is the better one? The great thing about this lens is that if you nail the focus, you can zoom in and the quality remains amazing.