Friday, March 23, 2018

The Beetles

Which was your favorite? I always liked Paul (the middle one) best. Ha. I would freak out if I saw any of these in real life. There is a favorite quote of mine, possibly apocryphal, from biologist J.B.S. Haladen. He is supposed to have said, "The Creator, if He exists, has "an inordinate fondness for beetles".  That always makes me smile and reminds me how little I know about nature. For example, there are about 250,000 different types plants on this planet. However, there are 350,000 different types of beetles. Creationists may have some explanation for this diversity but it is far more easily explained by natural selection (and by the fact that the Beetle is very a resilient creature).  Anyway this display had hundreds of different beetle types and is worth the price of admission alone to the Hayden Butterfly Center in Houston. Yuck.