Thursday, April 5, 2012

A little taste of Miami Beach

Here is a little shot of one of the buildings in the Art Deco District of Miami Beach, an area that Cheryl and I are going to get to visit later this year for a vacation spot. I hit the area for work and took a few warm up shots. I love the Art Deco District, which is an area about two blocks wide and about a 15 blocks long in Miami Beach. I got to finance the rehabilitation of two of the buildings when the area was just a run-down mess back in the late 1980's. I feel like I might have had a small impact in getting the current rehab wave started about 22 years ago. The reason I know that we were on the cutting edge of the rehab wave was that the building that I financed was for Section 8 housing and the developer tried to default on their Section 8 certificates a couple of years later when the area starting taking off. They realized that they could make a lot more money turning the building into an upscale hotel rather than Section 8 housing. More on that when Cheryl and I get to visit later this year.