Sunday, March 3, 2019

Jared Platt...living on the edge





Had a fantastic time hiking the Red Rocks area with professional photographers Jared Platt and Cabel Noteboom. (Calbel and his partner and wife, Kim, are destination wedding photographers from Billings, Montana). Jared gave me some excellent tips (try the black and white settings while still shooting in Raw—on a mirrorless camera, like my wonderful Nikon Z6, you see the shot in the viewfinder as a black and white...helps nail the composition but you still retain all the color information....) and just had an amazing afternoon shooting. I’ve said it before but if you go to Vegas and don’t visit the Red Rocks area (only a half hour away) you are missing out on some amazing views and easy to challenging hikes. As a flat-lander, I can see the difference between Jared and Cabel and someone like myself. They don’t mind the heights and “living on the edge”. I’m taking the shot and telling them to step away from the edge. There was a 50 drop behind Jared and he is saying, “we have to get a model up here”. I'm thinking, "no way that is going to happen".  LOL

Here are some shots of Cabel and Jared on top of a ridge. I wasn't going up there, although it turns out there is an easy path up there.