Thursday, October 28, 2021

Magnificent Frigate Birds

 

Wow. These birds are high up but are huge. I am handholding a 600mm lens almost straight up at 600 mm to get them large enough in the frame to show on screen. Magnificent Frigatebirds are almost 4 feet long, with wing span up to 8 feet. I kept wanting to crop in and show these birds up close but I really liked the huge white negative space in these two shots that I cropped together and decided to keep it this way, as it really shows them how I saw them at the time. I had 30 of these beautiful birds fly directly overhead, heading to their nighttime roost from a day of fishing in Tampa Bay. Never seen these birds before but now that I have seen their distinct profile, it will be hard not to identify them, even high up in the sky. Wonderful birds. Ok, here is the closest crop that I was able to get: