Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Two Cuckoo's in one weekend...or was it three?

 


Lots of birds have black bills but only a few have weird red circles around their eyes. I would have named the bird in the shot above, the red-eyed cuckoo instead of its given name, Black-billed Cuckoo. This is usually a tough bird to find but got a great view of it after following it around for a while and it gave me a few seconds to get in a good shot. Maybe they were trying to contrast this bird with a close cousin, the Yellow-billed Cuckoo, which I also got a shot of on the same weekend. All-in-all, got in an excellent weekend of shooting out in Cape May during the peak of the migration season, last week. The Yellow-billed was also doing it best to stay hidden, which is apparently a cuckoo trait. In any case, I got two cuckoos in one weekend on the same hike. That's a good get as these birds are pretty secretive. Well, three cuckoos, if you count me.....