Friday, February 21, 2020

Monk's Pub: A Chicago Institution

Monk's Pub is a Chicago institution that is located just a block from the Nuveen building, where I work. I don't eat here often and, as far as I can recall, I have never had a beer here. No reason, but something that I should resolve to change one of these days. Monk's Pub is a one-of-a-kind place in downtown Chicago--one of those places that give the city its character. Monk's is not on the beaten path, being located under the train tracks on Lake Street and Wells. Most of the visitors are office or construction workers in the local area. I doubt many tourists come by as it is not a very touristy area. When you walk in, you get the feeling that the pub has been transported here from a time long gone by. Yet, Monk's survives even as new buildings go up around it. In fact, I recently read that at the bar is now open on Saturday's, as people are starting to move in the area which is a very new development. Anyway, loved the colors inside the bar and it occurred to me that if this bar was in another city I would take a quick picture of it so I couldn't help but take a shot of a colorful location in my own city for today's Shot of the Day.