Monday, May 11, 2020

Red Street Streaks

Drag the shutter (keep it open). Put the camera on a tripod or something stable. Point towards cars, especially when they go away from you to get the red tail lights and you get some red street streaks. Hard to say, but easy to do with a couple of tries on the shutter. The top shot is from earlier this year with a 25 second exposure and a large aperture (large number on the f-stop, f22 in this case, small hole to let light through to the sensor) to darken the environment.  That is especially needed, even at night, when it is loaded with light from all the neon above a cross walk on the Las Vegas Strip. The bottom shot, from near Chinatown in San Francisco back in 2009. In that case, the shutter was only held open for 0.6 tenths of a second at f14 at ISO 400. I think I put the camera on a garbage can or some other street box to keep it stable. I could have kept it open longer with a lower ISO and a higher f-stop but I didn't have a tripod with me. That would have brought in some more red streaks. Still, it worked pretty good with the faster shot. I wonder if you can do it with cell phone cameras on a tripod. You would need to hold the cell phone on a tripod and use the "professional" mode. I am not sure but worth trying at some point.