Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Tilting towards the sun

 

You don't get much yellow in the midwest this time of the year but nevertheless, it is coming. While it is true that we are 3 million miles closer to the sun than we are in the summer (surprising no?) but we are tilted away from the sun so it doesn't get as high in the sky nor stay up as long (of course). It is the tilt that causes the seasons. The other little tidbit that I forgot about is technically, our winter is shorter than our summer since we are moving faster in our orbit being closer to the sun at this time of the year. Bummer for Australia and the southern hemisphere which has a shorter summer and longer winter. Rounds to about 89 days of northern winter vs 94 days of northern summer. So we have that going for us! Anyway, all of these thoughts were an excuse to get one of my favorite summer shots posted from a trip I did up Mt. Washington in New Hampshire back in 2011. That was the hardest hike in my life. I was so unprepared for it. Uphill for about 4 hours straight. The only thing that saved me is that they have a train that can take you back down. Like to do that hike again as I am in a bit better shape (but older and with knees that aren't sure if they are going to stay around). Anyway, enjoy the yellow.