Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Franklin Building on Dearborn

 



I had never noticed this building before, but I got a chance to see it and visit the Sandmeyer's Bookstore inside. Apparently, this 14 story building, built in 1916was a key part of Printer's Row on Dearborn and housed the Franklin Printing Company. The mural above looks like it has an artist, a bookbinder, a typesetter, a bored printer and a few others involved in bookmaking back in the day. Looks like the author is in the center in brown and an editor in green? I bet the publisher is in purple as that is the royal color. Fun bookstore in an interesting historic building.  Did I get the roles right? It is just a guess but I think I got them right. The bookstore itself, Sandmeyer's is a nice store with a mix of titles. A bit on the small side but with lots of room to move around. Have to give it an another visit when I am not so backed up with books to read---like that is ever going to happen.