Monday, September 4, 2023

One more Moon shot

 


As I started to file away the blue moon shot from last week, I was thinking that the shot was pretty impressive--for a handheld shot. I have taken full moon shots before (see below from 2018 and 2020) but none turned out as nice as with this combination of lens and camera. I now have the Nikon Z9 and I was using the Nikon 70-200 at 200mm, cropped tight in post. I do have a longer lens (100-400mm) and now I wish I would have tried it (maybe next month) to see if I can get it even sharper as I wouldn't have to crop so much. However, the longer the lens, the harder it is to handhold and keep sharp. Surprisingly, the moon is a very bright subject and you can shoot at a fast speed to limit hand shake. The shot above was at a 1/180 of a second at ISO 100 and that was fast enough to keep it both bright and sharp. 

The moon below was my previous best. It was taken with my previous camera, the Z7 and a handheld 150-600mm at 600mm. Despite the longer lens and faster shutter speed of 1/1250 at ISO 6400, it didn't do as well. I should have reduced the f-stop (depth of field) as the moon is a flat object with no depth in the night sky. You can't crop in as tight, as the quality of the shot breaks down, with that combination so it is a smaller shot, despite the longer lens. 



Same thing with the 2018, previous best with the Nikon D850 (a great camera by the way) with the same 70-200 lens. Again, harder to crop in as the shot starts to pixelate if you keep cropping in. Same lens as the shot from last week but with the Z9 technology, you have much more room to crop than with the chip in the D850. The shot below was taken at 1/2500 at an f4.5 at ISO 400. 




So, three moon views from three different cameras. Pretty amazing how fast the technology has changed and I didn't really push the Z9 to see if I can get a better shot with a longer lens. Again, I might lose out on holding it steady--we shall see. There are a lot of tricks to try and I will try a couple and see how it goes!!!