Wednesday, January 17, 2018

An old time favorite in black and white

I can't remember if I posted this before on the blog, so I will post this as my favorite black and white picture, since I have been going through all of my favorite shots recently. This shot was a taken way, way, way back in 1978 or 1979 at the then named, Illinois Benedictine College, now, Benedictine University, obviously at a Halloween party. I wish I could identify those in the photo but my memory fades and besides, they are in costume. Back then, I was the photo editor of the college newspaper, The Torch, and eventually, the assistant editor in my senior year. It was quite an experience learning to write quickly while covering the who, what, where, when and if we knew, the why of a story. We spent long hours on Thursday nights putting the newspaper together. I used to drive the copy to a printer in downtown Naperville and then pick up the finished paper on Friday to deliver around the campus.

On the photojournalism side, I ran the darkroom, using chemicals to bring the pictures to life. Most of my photography was terrible in those days, but this shot stood the test of time and is about the only picture I have from those days. With a scan into Photoshop, I brought out the blacks and other details in the shot, which were fading with time in the original print. I still have the original camera I used to take that shot some 40 years ago. A Nikon F2. I should crack it out one day, buy some film and give it a try!!! A great shot (by my standards) and a great memory.