Friday, January 5, 2018

Best of List--Number 11--Man, Horse, Gettysburg

I have posted this shot many times as it is one of my favorites. Recently, it was selected out of thousands of submissions as one of the 47 finalists on ViewBug, a photo contest site. It didn't win but it showed really well. The story of this shot comes from a trip I took with a buddy to see the 150 year anniversary of the battle of Gettysburg, back in 2013. I saw this rider overlooking the coming battlefield (which was about 5 miles from the actual site) with fog rolling in as the evening sun set. I grabbed a quick shot with my 200mm lens which gave great compression of the background. All the elements came together to catch a great shot. I have tried a couple of times to find the rider and I have recently found his name and unit but he has subsequently dropped out from doing reenactments and I haven't found a direct contact number. In any case, number 11 of my top 20 remains a favorite.