Saturday, January 6, 2018

Best of List--Number 12--Above Multnomah Falls

This is sort of a sad shot as this scene is very likely not there anymore, at least in the way it looked here back in May of 2016. About a year from when Michael and I hiked up above Mulnomah Falls, outside of Portland Oregon, by the way, one of the more difficult hikes of my life, a fire started by a couple of teenagers playing with firecrackers during one of the driest periods ever recorded, burned thousands of acres of near pristine timberland up above the falls. The historic lodge at Multnomah Falls was saved but this area up above the lodge is likely very much changed. I don't believe this hike is open any longer and likely won't be open for years as the Forest Service lets the area heal.

In any case, this typical forest scene ranks as number 12 in chronological order of my favorite all-time shots . I was taking lots of pictures on this hike to slow Michael down and let me catch my breath and I caught this wonderful stream up above the falls. Michael can move over territory like you can't believe! I like to stop and take pictures which helps me recover. The unusual look is due to some filters I added to bring in a dreamy quality to the shot.