Monday, June 15, 2020

Ponte Vecchio Bridge, Florence

From the way back machine, here is one of my first shots from restarting my photography hobby back in 2006. I was shooting with my first digital camera, the wonderful Nikon D200. Wasn't a great day weather wise in Florence, hence the grey skies, but what I remember is the rich history, the colors--and the gelato. This trip was part of my 6 week sabbatical, which Nuveen gave to employees after 15 years employment. That benefit went away but it was wonderful to have at the time. Can't imagine being away for 6 days in this market. Anyway, I still have Florence on my list as places I would love to visit again. This is where the Renaissance started and grew as a cultural movement. It was a change in perspective, literally, as artists learned to put perspective in pictures, just as the bridge is seen here in the background. Before the Renaissance, artist would put things in one plane, with elements in the background put in the top of the picture. That looks strange to us but it was understood to be in the background from viewers in the 14th century. That change in perspective caused other perspectives to change. Anyway, can't wait to go back one day.