Friday, January 14, 2022

January is for the Birds #9: Eastern Kingbird in North Central Nebraska

 


I was not in Nebraska for the birds back in August 2013 but for the dark skies. This was an astronomy trip to one of the darkest parts of the United States. No towns within 50 miles. Only piece of civilization was a small resort about 8 miles away. At night, not only is it dark, but you get horizon to horizon viewing as there are also no trees to speak of in the sand dunes of central Nebraska. Glad I got this one shot of what I learned later was an Eastern Kingbird. Not a bird that I have seen in Illinois, although they are supposed to be here during the summer months. Going to have to go look for one sometime to see if I can get a better shot. I like this shot more as an environmental portrait, reminding me of the grasslands and of the stillness of the area. Almost totally devoid of people. Just intense heat, with no shade. But the skies are night are amazing.